Canine atopic dermatitis: A genetically predisposed inflammatory and pruritic allergic skin disease with characteristic clinical features associated with IgE antibodies most commonly directed against environmental allergens.
Canine atopic-like dermatitis: An inflammatory and pruritic skin disease with clinical features identical to those seen in canine atopic dermatitis in which an IgE response to environmental or other allergens cannot be documented.
Source: Halliwell, R and the International Task Force on Canine Atopic Dermatitis. Editorial: revised nomenclature for veterinary allergy. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 2006; 114:207-208.
Clinical features of chronic canine atopic dermatitis:
* Favrot C, Steffan J, Seewald W, et al. A prospective study on the clinical features of chronic canine atopic dermatitis and its diagnosis. Veterinary Dermatology 2010; 21:23-31.
Clinical features of feline hypersensitivity dermatitis:
*Hobi S, Linek M, Marignac G, et al. Clinical characteristics and causes of pruritus in cats: a multicentre study on feline hypersensitivity-associated dermatoses. Veterinary Dermatology 2011; 22:406-413.
Pruritus Visual Analog Scale
* Hill PB, Lau P, Rybnicek J. Development of an owner-assessed scale to measure the severity of pruritus in dogs. Veterinary Dermatology 2007; 18:301-308.
* Rybnicek J, Lau-Gillard PJ, Harvey R, et al. Further validation of a pruritus severity scale for use in dogs. Veterinary Dermatology 2009; 20:115-122.
Canine atopic dermatitis extent and severity index, 4th iteration (CADESI-04)
Olivry T, Saridomichelakis M, Nuttall T, et al. Validation of the Canine Atopic Dermatitis Extent and Severity Index (CADESI)-4, a simplified severity scale for assessing skin lesions of atopic dermatitis in dogs. Veterinary Dermatology 2014; Early View, first published online 25 JAN 2014.
Canine atopic dermatitis lesion index (CADLI)
* Plant JD, Gortel K, Kovalik M, et al. Development and validation of the Canine Atopic Dermatitis Lesion Index, a scale for the rapid scoring of lesion severity in canine atopic dermatitis. Veterinary Dermatology 2012; 23:515-e103.
Feline hypersensitivity dermatitis extent and severity scale
* Steffan J, Olivry T, Forster SL, et al. Responsiveness and validity of the SCORFAD, an extent and severity scale for feline hypersensitivity dermatitis. Veterinary Dermatology 2012; 23:410-e477.
Favrot C, Linek M, Mueller R, Zini E, for the International Task Force on Canine Atopic Dermatitis. Development of a questionnaire to assess the impact of atopic dermatitis on health-related quality of life of affected dogs and their owners. Veterinary Dermatology 2010; 21:63-69.
* Linek M, Favrot C. Impact of canine atopic dermatitis on the health-related quality of life of affected dogs and quality of life of their owners. Veterinary Dermatology 2010; 21:456-462.
* Noli C, Minafo G, Galzerano M. Quality of life of dogs with skin diseases and their owners. Part 1: development and validation of a questionnaire. Veterinary Dermatology 2011; 22:335-343.
* Noli C, Colombo S, Cornegliani L, et al. Quality of life of dogs with skin disease and of their owners. Part 2: administration of a questionnaire in various skin diseases and correlation to efficacy of therapy. Veterinary Dermatology 2011; 22:344-351.